Get a Glossy Clear Coat with the Best Ceramic Coating for Cars
Ceramic coating for cars lets your car retain its shine for longer
There is nothing quite like the brilliantly smooth shine of a brand new car. You look after your vehicle, wash it, maybe wax it when you remember, but that glossy newness starts to fade and wear. UV radiation, chips, stains, swirl marks, bird droppings, dirt, all of these take their toll. Which is where ceramic coating for cars comes in; ceramic car coating is a liquid polymer which creates a layer of protection over your vehicle’s paint job. The clear coat bonds with its substrate at the nanomolecular level, meaning it does not wash away or break down like a wax which requires re-application every few months. Ceramic coating for cars keeps your vehicle cleaner and looking its best for longer.
In this article we look at automotive clear coat refinish and the different products available in the US.
The best ceramic coating for cars protects the paint from the elements
Glass coating, ceramic coating, liquid glass, nano ceramic car coating, ceramic glass, car paint protection coating, is there a difference between all these products? Well, no, not really. All these terms are used to describe a nano coating based on silica/silicon dioxide (a key ingredient in glass). These nano coatings are hydrophobic, hard, heat and weather resistant, and this is what makes them so perfect for your vehicle. A ceramic coating makes your car paint more resilient, and easier to clean, just like when it just had the factory applied automotive paint on it. This is because ceramic coating on cars:
- Is hydrophobic – they repel water, meaning water will bead on the surface and slide off. Mud and grime will also find it more difficult to adhere to the surface, and the car can be more easily washed, less often.
- Protects from chemical stains – acidic fluids and salt will stain and etch a paint job, but with a ceramic coating the hydrophobic property will prevent these destructive elements from affecting the paint.
- Enhances gloss – a ceramic coating coats your car in a slick, self-cleaning surface which makes your car glossy and shiny, like it just came out of the shop.
- Provides UV protection – when your vehicle is exposed to the sun, the paint will begin to oxidize and fade. A ceramic car coating provides a barrier which protects from this effect.
Ceramic coating for cars products available in the US
Here below you can find a selection of ceramic car coating products accompanied by price indications. If you would like more information about ceramic coating for cars, products, or would like to find an installer, please contact us!
Adams Nano Ceramic Spray Coating Kit
Fortify Quick Coat Shine Armor Ceramic Coating
Hocossy 9H Liquid Crystal Coating Kit
CarPro C.Quartz Ceramic Car Coating Kit
Color N Drive Car Ceramic Coating Kit
Note that some products may be available in different sizes and that 1 oz bottle is enough for applying multiple coats on a basic sedan. The durability of these products also varies, from 1 year to 5.
The cost of ceramic coating for cars
If you take your vehicle into a shop for a professionally-applied ceramic coating, it will of course be more expensive than if you had applied it at home. You are paying for the work hours, but also the security of a trained and experienced professional who will apply the best ceramic coating for cars available. An automotive clear coat refinish would be an investment for the serious car lover. Where waxing is a quarterly expense, ceramic coating is a one-off (though it requires reapplication to maintain the strength of the protection). A professional ceramic detail costs in the range of $1000 -$1500.
The ceramic car coating process: by a professional or at home
Applying a ceramic coating on cars is an intensive operation, and many of these coatings require an experienced and qualified professional to apply them. The process is delicate and hiring an authorized detailer will mean a better and more effective coating application. There are, however, ceramic coating kits available which can be applied at home, if you wish to do so.
Be aware that when applied at home, a flawless result cannot be guaranteed; ceramic car coating requires an absolutely contaminant free environment which can rarely be achieved in a private garage.
Like in any coating application, the condition of the substrate is a key component, as described in the product specifications for Chemona’s paint protection product. Before applying the coating, your car must be as clean and bare as possible; the coating will be easier to apply and work better, the cleaner the car surface is to begin with. Though each individual product may have slightly different application requirements (and you should always follow the specific instructions), the basic procedure of applying ceramic coating for cars is as follows:
- After washing and buffing the car, wipe it down again with a low percentage (15%) IPA solution and a microfiber cloth, to make sure there is as little contaminants and oils as possible left on the car surface.
- Take the applicator pad/cloth and apply the coating in an X pattern across it. Only a very little of the coating will be needed.
- Using a circular or back and forth motion, wipe the coating onto a panel, applying on one panel at a time.
- After 5 minutes, check the application for irregularities or high points. If they are present, gently wipe over the surface with a microfiber cloth to smooth out the surface.
- Allow to cure.